Sunday, January 2, 2011
5 Truths That Should Keep Us Grounded as a Fan Base
You have probably already made your judgment regarding the future of coach Rod, but before you make your verdict final, the facts behind what happened this year (and in years past) in college football should be examined.
1. Michigan was 22nd in total offense in college football this year with 34.3 points per game.
They averaged only 20 points per game against ranked teams (with only 7 points coming against OSU).
2. Rich Rodriguez's team lost to Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State this year.
He is now 0-9 against these teams as head coach of Michigan.
3. Michigan was 102nd in total defense this year surrendering 33.8 points per game.
Do we really need numbers here? Watching that defense was like repeatedly sticking a fork in your eye.
4. Michigan's record has gotten better every year.
3-9... 5-7 ....7-5 (7-6 with bowl game)
5. The Big Ten was not great this year.
Michigan's very average record this year cannot be excused by great in-conference competition. It's not that the Big Ten was necessarily bad, but did you see who went 11-1 in the regular season? Did you see any of the New Year's Day bowl games?...YIKES!