Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Greg Mattison as Defensive Coordinator: The good, the bad, the verdict
- Mattison comes from success in the NFL.
As defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, Mattison has coached the #3 ranked defense in the NFL in 2009-2010 and the #10 ranked defense in the NFL in 2010-2011.
- Mattison has coached at Michigan.
From 1992-1994, Mattison was the defensive line coach of the Wolverines. From 1995-1996, Mattison was the Wolverines' defensive coordinator.
- Michigan's defense, under Mattison's direction, allowed 17.2 points per game in 1995 and 15.3 points per game in 1996.
In 2010, the Wolverines allowed 35.23 ppg...
- Mattison likes to recruit and is apparently good at it.
- Mattison loves Michigan.
According to Mattison, it was the only place that could have (and did) lure him away from the Ravens.
- Mattison has beaten Ohio State more recently than 2003.
Remember the 2007 BCS National Championship Game? That was Mattison's Florida Gator defense making Troy Smith look like a chump.
- Mattison is 61 years old.
Can anyone really see him coaching for more than 5-10 years?
- After 1996, Mattison ditched Michigan for the same position (defensive coordinator) at Notre Dame.
Mattison apparently had strong ties to then-Irish coach Bob Davie... Michigan got the last laugh in 1997 anyway.
There's no sense in getting worked up because of Mattison's age or past decisions. He is a great fit for the Wolverines.